SINOFACE|海华网

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索
查看: 1664|回复: 0

The Lovely Bones (be continued...............)

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-10-11 03:08:28 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 小爱不爱 于 2009-10-11 03:11 编辑 ) `  K  O' r, q, f' X
+ j/ A! Y" P% S, e& D
《可爱的骨头》这一部不可能拍成电影的小说已经成功的拍摄完成,本来在3月份就可以看首映,但是基于一些原因,所以此片将会在12底发布,一部很不错的小说。 因为老师要我看一本英文书,我选择这部小说来当我的书评,所以介绍给大家。
4 r. ]2 d+ R7 y此小说主要是通过一个14岁女孩被强奸及毁尸之后在天堂俯瞰人间的家人怎么悲痛,又怎么走出人生。7 u, X2 u  E. G6 S  v

- ~7 g. ?7 d) R7 }因为文章有20多节,所以每次上传1节2 V" P( W* i& }& _6 {  x) n

! U: R/ i; W5 H) v4 a3 o1 wThe Lovely Bones    by     Alice Sebold
$ P5 p. {' J5 X# ]2 k+ O, `0 U  x; D
Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a4 o( c0 |* B# w* n
red and white striped scarf. When I was little my father would pull me
5 R5 V( A. n  K' h! Dinto his lap and reach for the snow globe. He would turn it over," u/ W( o) _1 L# H
letting all the snow collect on the top, then quickly invert it. The two
+ F9 ^! {& v6 i$ [of us watched the snow fall gently around the penguin. The penguin was! u- ^* M% J% ?' x: D
alone in there, I thought, and I worried for him. When I told my father& |$ ^4 ^% M' F) u' I" b2 a
this, he said, "Don't worry, Susie; he has a nice life. He's trapped in
# ?7 Z0 b6 `8 Y! F. Ja perfect world."" ?; w# P9 i; f
- T; y8 }5 J+ w2 x3 n0 E7 K: ]: i7 Q9 Y
ONE; ?8 E4 b, C5 g
My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was& j1 m1 i* p& \3 S# q, [$ I7 n
fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. In newspaper photos of: a7 u) a% V& E# N& t# I
missing girls from the seventies, most looked like me: white girls with
+ B; C5 Z% o! v: ]" g1 kmousy brown hair. This was before kids of all races and genders started" n, y; }! y- s7 P  i( y
appearing on milk cartons or in the daily mail. It was still back when
5 h8 V3 h( G3 ?5 q$ N0 D# Hpeople believed things like that didn't happen.- |4 E4 P4 Y" T& W4 C5 @
In my junior high yearbook I had a quote from a Spanish poet my sister
0 J4 ^2 W2 d2 I; D* @2 q9 Nhad turned me on to, Juan Ramon Jimenez. It went like this: "If they& B& I% ~7 `: ]6 S6 N9 O
give you ruled paper, write the other way." I chose it both because it
8 T6 }6 o9 f/ n% @: zexpressed my contempt for my structured surroundings a la the classroom
; l' M5 j2 h8 Pand because, not being some dopey quote from a rock group, I thought it
9 J# }0 B/ t8 V  [/ r* C' ?: ?! z! G" Nmarked me as literary. I was a member of the Chess Club and Chem Club1 a7 w, e- ]( r; k
and burned everything I tried to make in Mrs. Delminico's home ec class.: ^4 M. O3 P% `! U
My favorite teacher was Mr. Botte, who taught biology and liked to
- t7 w) T( ?  n- `. h8 |animate the frogs and crawfish we had to dissect by making them dance in4 q' f$ N7 X8 m8 B. a
their waxed pans.
1 e) L! h( w! U0 l5 [I wasn't killed by Mr. Botte, by the way. Don't think every person
6 T! i2 V; \# ^' r' ]you're going to meet in here is suspect. That's the problem. You never: t; K2 W) q0 f3 m0 z! X9 ^
know. Mr. Botte came to my memorial (fas?), may I add, as did almost the
  S" Q5 s+ w% k1 uentire junior high school (I was never so popular) and cried quite a4 w" M7 K% B1 @) a3 P
bit. He had a sick kid. We all knew this, so when he laughed at his own
3 w1 Q& s6 T# Njokes, which were rusty way before I had him, we laughed too, forcing it
2 }" i* f* R. m; r# j- V# ysometimes just to make him happy. His daughter died a year and a half! _3 c4 W; v" L+ i0 q: l
after I did. She had leukemia, but I never saw her in my heaven.
# Z: w- ~7 R) ]My murderer was a man from our neighborhood. My mother liked his7 X9 A+ p3 q9 S
border flowers, and my father talked to him once about fertilizer. My- a6 Q0 v& @7 F: ~. ^
murderer believed in old-fashioned things like eggshells and coffee
# g0 r9 V8 X+ _+ Ygrounds, which he said his own mother had used. My father came home, F- T4 P3 Y5 ?3 S! x0 j2 ]
smiling, making jokes about how the man's garden might be beautiful but
+ s% H1 U/ \  Z: Z6 K7 z5 ^0 uit would stink to high heaven once a heat wave hit.% _% U5 x8 D( n
But on December 6, 1973, it was snowing, and I took a shortcut through% \; `/ F! |' b5 g
the cornfield back from the junior high. It was dark out because the# M. d) w. x+ }. n) c6 m' I
days were shorter in winter, and I remember how the broken cornstalks
3 E1 H0 A( _3 g; n( O6 amade my walk more difficult. The snow was falling lightly, like a flurry. n( m/ H. @% |# g
of small hands, and I was breathing through my nose until it was running: d" h# l/ }- D* y$ s
so much that I had to open my mouth. Six feet from where Mr. Harvey1 [& E& a5 g) j2 p# A  Z
stood, I stuck my tongue out to taste a snowflake.
* `9 ]" f% n" n, E"Don't let me startle you," Mr. Harvey said.& E7 c3 l% j- w) p
Of course, in a cornfield, in the dark, I was startled. After I was
7 `5 ~+ ?- c+ k' P4 idead I thought about how there had been the light scent of cologne in
. \* @+ N- l1 t3 l# l6 Jthe air but that I had not been paying attention, or thought it was
4 C" O; F; x2 J5 d% t# [8 Qcoming from one of the houses up ahead! H; W' P- x; k! w3 w# u
"Mr. Harvey, "I said.
+ i& l$ w8 `) y"You're the older Salmon girl, right?"" Q, H% q: X, Y" X' T5 {. I1 k2 B
"Yes."
0 O5 ?  e  H9 O" m! ]: U# ]"How are your folks?"
1 b) u9 ?% S; w3 lAlthough the eldest in my family and good at acing a science quiz, I
* k, i- S7 }+ Hhad never felt comfortable with adults.. o- K$ L8 X  ]: z# O5 A! n0 }
"Fine," I said. I was cold, but the natural authority of his age, and
4 |9 I6 q5 b* qthe added fact that he was a neighbor and had talked to my father about
5 t/ b; z* _. h. h# Efertilizer, rooted me to the spot.
1 m% `; J  p0 W& R, r% o"I've built something back here," he said. "Would you like to see?”+ m  Y9 i% d: ?% v8 l
"I'm sort of cold, Mr. Harvey," I said, "and my mom likes me2 }8 `; r. D* t: \5 s* _; p
home before dark."
6 ]! B+ n- X# [8 n"Its after dark, Susie," he said.
/ t6 P8 N# p! t/ I& _I wish now that I had known this was weird. I had never told him my  S7 U7 \0 v# E3 f3 ^  ?
name. I guess I thought my father had told him one of the embarrassing
3 g' d( d) W, H+ H: m( a- manecdotes he saw merely as loving testaments to his children. My father) A: E2 K) j7 E. Q9 M8 N1 f
was the kind of dad who kept a nude photo of you when you were three in
) g2 C. }5 n, N! Lthe downstairs bathroom, the one that guests would use. He did this to. N0 I" L2 p' }0 U  H! u! V
my little sister, Lindsey, thank God. At least I was spared that. `# q' S% ?$ }6 E& L5 \/ g
indignity. But he liked to tell a story about how, once Lindsey was
/ x( C8 Q/ K+ \+ q4 c( t  ]" I( O" m  qborn, I was so jealous that one day while he was on the phone in the& r) H" b  E2 q  ]. D! R
other room, I moved down the couch - he could see me from where he stood3 t: [7 z$ f; q: h0 \
- and tried to pee on top of Lindsey in her carrier. This story( v; q/ T+ L: A' [. x. l: g
humiliated me every time he told it, to the pastor of our church, to our
4 x/ o- E( i' ?9 ?8 {/ lneighbor Mrs. Stead, who was a therapist and whose take on it he wanted
: f' D( H' r: i+ V0 ^to hear, and to everyone who ever said "Susie has a lot of spunk!"
; v& a/ K% R) s"Spunk!" my father would say. "Let me tell you about spunk," and he+ W0 k7 \. M% ]- m3 r8 _" H/ }
would launch immediately into his Susie-peed-on-Lindsey story.
, R; G# ~  _( Q4 N, S1 S, WBut as it turned out, my father had not mentioned us to Mr. Harvey or" q, H" Q' c: Z+ R
told him the Susie-peed-on-Lindsey story.( }+ ^8 T) c& W8 }; p
Mr. Harvey would later say these words to my mother when he ran into her9 L4 X# x3 k. x! a' w
on the street: "I heard about the horrible, horrible tragedy. What was7 X4 S, l: z8 v
your daughter's name, again?"
. t4 T. `  G9 q  R2 Y( p"Susie," my mother said, bracing up under the weight of it, a weight: Z1 J0 z' z1 L2 Q+ ~+ j
that she naively hoped might lighten someday, not knowing that it would
- }8 B/ a3 o3 F7 U% M# Yonly go on to hurt in new and varied ways for the rest of her life.$ \" V) S+ O  J# G
Mr. Harvey told her the usual: "I hope they get the bastard. I'm sorry$ |/ [$ O+ E: X$ P0 J
for your loss."9 j* G! j+ k3 q* O/ w
I was in my heaven by that time, fitting my limbs together, and
3 B6 H" x/ D; Gcouldn't believe his audacity. "The man has no shame," I said to Franny,2 k3 Z9 a# ~3 G9 U  f0 ?
my intake counselor. "Exactly," she said, and made her point as simply4 d( C& s' P) \4 o
as that. There wasn't a lot of bullshit in my heaven.+ y8 ]8 q$ X3 p7 |' X8 h# m5 x
Mr. Harvey said it would only take a minute, so I followed him a4 Z! n; y' e: v( M5 }
little farther into the cornfield, where fewer stalks were broken off5 E, Q8 `- M! h
because no one used it as a shortcut to the junior high. My mom had told: }! O8 b& v- ?& L
my baby brother, Buckley, that the corn in the field was inedible when+ _( A2 ^- n4 v4 h( @+ Q  ^; e6 S
he asked why no one from the neighborhood ate it. "The corn is for
: U8 w& d5 `2 f3 I9 rhorses, not humans," she said. "Not dogs?" Buckley asked. "No," my" f9 g: p9 G. v* S, W* @5 s2 k% h: ]
mother answered. "Not dinosaurs?" Buckley asked. And it went like that.- |' L$ Q  |7 G' ^3 u5 f
"I've made a little hiding place," said Mr. Harvey.: G( h1 s! @5 A9 J: ~
He stopped and turned to me.
) q6 Q9 Z6 D% E) Z# t" x"I don't see anything," I said. I was aware that Mr. Harvey was
6 K" C2 r+ n! Xlooking at me strangely. I'd had older men look at me that way since I'd
, z) {/ h$ a% R  @8 L+ i: ylost my baby fat, but they usually didn't lose their marbles over me
) R2 |9 k1 t  m  Uwhen I was wearing my royal blue parka and yellow elephant bell-bottoms.( O% A- k4 j& W) w% E
His glasses were small and round with gold frames, and his eyes looked
' u5 b+ K0 U* U! s' Iout over them and at me.
& A2 \! Z. A6 d) R, v. t"You should be more observant, Susie," he said.
4 ~; y, ]! _' v. q( B1 r# nI felt like observing my way out of there, but I didn't. Why didn't I?; [$ R$ R. s5 B
Franny said these questions were fruitless: "You didn't and that's that.* T" r+ j7 a# K
Don't mull it over. It does no good. You're dead and you have to accept% w& G  w# G* F2 j
it."
/ Z6 }$ L2 r- ?3 n"Try again," Mr. Harvey said, and he squatted down and knocked against
7 I3 r9 e" e, sthe ground.
  @0 {4 A# _8 o3 u+ `: {"What's that?” I asked.9 Q- }" b" ]2 S+ Z
My ears were freezing. I wouldn't wear the multicolored cap with the* u' F6 y2 o; j6 u4 F4 q& ]/ w
pompom and jingle bells that my mother had made me one Christmas. I had, G+ r6 ^; s, s
shoved it in the pocket of my parka instead.) M' i# w7 o/ j) H' T
I remember that I went over and stomped on the ground near him. It$ M- i5 y" P. d6 ^$ \) ]
felt harder even than frozen earth, which was pretty hard.
6 s! s  D6 c$ j- p"It's wood," Mr. Harvey said. "It keeps the entrance from collapsing.
2 [9 m, _: ^( B/ N; i2 V; cOther than that it's all made out of earth."/ O# q: F0 V+ Z1 @0 G" Y
"What is it?" I asked. I was no longer cold or weirded out by the look/ S' |% O7 r, o" E) k8 L
he had given me. I was like I was in science class: I was curious.5 H3 Z7 z' ~. C8 x$ `/ x
"Come and see,"
/ \/ V: B) d9 c* Y" G* aIt was awkward to get into, that much he admitted once we were both
* O- p/ R+ N. {" {( v" _4 winside the hole. But I was so amazed by how he had made a chimney that% i2 \3 r5 D6 g3 i  j* j" w
would draw smoke out if he ever chose to build a fire that the
; v' F2 j/ ?. P' w0 hawkwardness of getting in and out of the hole wasn't even on my mind.
3 o4 r/ q3 ]) FYou could add to that that escape wasn't a concept I had any real% l. r% w4 ?, ~3 g4 E
experience with. The worst I'd had to escape was Artie, a strangelooking, h4 S7 W7 {1 T4 Y4 d( _& ]
kid at school whose father was a mortician. He liked to pretend1 H$ t! l+ Z* z) H* g9 m
he was carrying a needle full of embalming fluid around with him. On his3 `' M% w) T: h3 y
notebooks he would draw needles spilling dark drips.  O3 ~; O% y7 T. v
"This is neato!" I said to Mr. Harvey. He could have been the- Z5 s% K. i+ n
hunchback of Notre Dame, whom we had read about in French class. I
8 b% `" m3 m( D# F/ M: r( J' _didn't care. I completely reverted. I was my brother Buckley on our daytrip$ u2 c) \; o7 U: \- q! [1 m+ u* e8 y+ l" F" f
to the Museum of Natural History in New York, where he'd fallen in
: E+ N& h7 a: S; E  C$ Blove with the huge skeletons on display. I hadn't used the word neato in+ y3 |% f. r# M' n4 B( c* d
public since elementary school.
8 \" h- B# Y( S"Like taking candy from a baby," Franny said.
1 ?, Y. P. s( V9 M. f7 Y. `' _I can still see the hole like it was yesterday, and it was. Life is a
% _- n* G3 g) k% Sperpetual yesterday for us. It was the size of a small room, the mud" [  t; Q) {5 O" i7 z! w- n) m3 P! Q
room in our house, say, where we kept our boots and slickers and where) k1 G* n# b4 q9 h; E
Mom had managed to fit a washer and dryer, one on top of the other. I8 I5 w9 u* }. T* `. h% _
could almost stand up in it, but Mr. Harvey had to stoop. He'd created a7 F: I6 c2 h$ M/ s, l/ g# A
bench along the sides of it by the way he'd dug it out. He immediately9 J0 T: I3 W  Z
sat down." H7 d* H0 O- l9 |, Q/ V! j
"Look around," he said.) z! `  D3 c! c* ?7 X2 B) u
I stared at it in amazement, the dug-out shelf above him where he had
. i6 {4 h, j; k$ w% I$ h! Gplaced matches, a row of batteries, and a battery-powered fluorescent. h  H" z) \+ C; W7 w3 Q/ x
lamp that cast the only light in the room, an eerie light that would: p& @" |+ j( }/ o* D
make his features hard to see when he was on top of me., J& f. m5 ^# x! ^5 A% \, l
There was a mirror on the shelf, and a razor and shaving cream. I
% F) g0 n, d: z1 jthought that was odd. Wouldn't he do that at home? But I guess I figured
7 u7 }2 T& ^& {. dthat a man who had a perfectly good split-level and then built an4 X& ?' ?1 Z( z' _. O3 l
underground room only half a mile away had to be kind of loo-loo. My
5 I9 @9 U  H! c4 Ofather had a nice way of describing people like him: "The man's a5 i: ^0 q) ]& ]. _" R% a6 ~
character, that's all."3 W" E( j4 `5 l& G5 L  c- [( S: p) b# D
So I guess I was thinking that Mr. Harvey was a character, and I liked  n" ~! Q8 x8 Q4 u
the room, and it was warm, and I wanted to know how he had built it,1 ]1 M: U3 K/ q" t; A: i1 `
what the mechanics of the thing were and where he'd learned to do9 x/ R" ~  ^4 S2 A' o! X
something like that.
2 }2 F; n) g& C) [But by the time the Gilberts' dog found my elbow three days later and
4 Z4 d$ v1 B& sbrought it home with a telling corn husk attached to it, Mr. Harvey had: p! U6 ~0 ]$ j" a9 {/ I$ u
closed it up. I was in transit during this. I didn't get to see him
! C/ }9 _) f9 g; a( ~# O2 A9 V, _# jsweat it out, remove the wood reinforcement, bag any evidence along with
5 V; @/ A) ~7 f" b9 M2 Omy body parts, except that elbow. By the time I popped up with enough
! ^* e" g2 y; e! @wherewithal to look down at the goings-on on Earth, I was more concerned
- t! V$ \5 T- f: S. Lwith my family than anything else.
" v# I% w( P1 |1 J6 BMy mother sat on a hard chair by the front door with her mouth open.8 n. _9 }9 K  j& e$ l
Her pale face paler than I had ever seen it. Her blue eyes staring. My
: W; ~5 E( f  Z$ n- ifather was driven into motion. He wanted to know details and to comb the
" a. ?5 ^, s4 j' S. D, s( L8 Dcornfield along with the cops. I still thank God for a small detective
2 o* p5 G$ @. ?  B; F2 R6 @named Len Fenerman. He assigned two uniforms to take my dad into town0 Z$ ^% ~% m5 V* |- h6 C
and have him point out all the places I'd hung out with my friends. The
% B8 X) F3 `# S# b; g. ?uniforms kept my dad busy in one mall for the whole first day. No one7 F; P2 v, T) J$ ]
had told Lindsey, who was thirteen and would have been old enough, or! i  s7 w3 x( c, R; y
Buckley, who was four and would, to be honest, never fully understand., n4 i  _0 ^* `: v' G
Mr. Harvey asked me if I would like a refreshment. That was how he put
5 M1 ^' W- s( I! Xit. I said I had to go home.
  }9 @, z: e  T. M8 e  g"Be polite and have a Coke," he said. I’m sure the other kids would."1 S! V0 o+ r, v0 A6 C! o
"What other kids?"
  p  W, M+ S+ `. m2 S3 N. K* o"I built this for the kids in the neighborhood. I thought it could be
9 f% H; S9 g  O* ?& T' u. Ysome sort of clubhouse."
' L, y" d) q% T0 X2 ^, Z( lI don't think I believed this even then. I thought he was lying but I
0 w7 s4 k9 I; ?% [: T9 Y0 i; ythought it was a pitiful lie. I imagined he was lonely. We had read' ]2 {( ~2 z* h: P' \' r( ]# H
about men like him in health class. Men who never married and ate frozen! N3 K% W3 Q* S$ S+ Z7 F
meals every night and were so afraid of rejection that they didn't even1 s9 u. w5 E& w1 `' d4 m
own pets. I felt sorry for him.
) t8 J  \+ L0 R! |  P"Okay," I said, "I'll have a Coke."
! K0 t3 g9 e- j3 KIn a little while he said, "Aren't you warm, Susie? Why don't you take
3 Z8 \- e; M3 f3 N# moff your parka,"( \! g, y$ G. T5 J& v+ A
I did.
$ Q- t  ~. Y1 Q& s0 zAfter this he said, "You're very pretty, Susie."- E! w) C4 c4 {5 c  [$ q* J' ?9 }
"Thanks," I said, even though he gave me what my friend Clarissa and I! S+ q0 g) ?. ?( ?% G: @- z
had dubbed the skeevies.
) h- G) D# z+ S& T' q0 I. n"Do you have a boyfriend?"
3 b" V9 u6 v2 o* Z' `4 D"No, Mr. Harvey," I said. I swallowed the rest of my Coke, which was a
. \" b8 V- y" v6 N9 I; |5 u" |' A' llot, and said, "I got to go, Mr. Harvey. This is a cool place, but I  T' K5 x" ?3 Y1 z
have to go."
" B% w0 l* B( I  h! @4 w, o1 _, Z( BHe stood up and did his hunchback number by the six dug-in steps that: u3 S. p( z# u; W2 R% W
led to the world. "I don't know why you think you're leaving."' _" _( v/ V+ T" f* j% i
I talked so that I would not have to take in this knowledge: Mr.
; V9 r9 U6 j; N) lHarvey was no character. He made me feel skeevy and icky now that he was
0 o: Y  ~/ e& E- L& g" k0 Ablocking the door.& M/ w+ W6 p7 {& }/ N/ g
"Mr. Harvey, I really have to get home.". e& p, _7 U3 |4 v" z
"Take off your clothes."
2 t$ g4 j& K1 G  h6 K8 j3 I8 o& e& \"What?"
, N! W7 y- P# V) n"Take your clothes off," Mr. Harvey said. "I want to check that you're
4 Y( x7 Z& F6 \still a virgin."
, g6 F+ o$ G, v; _/ _8 K"I am, Mr. Harvey," T said.
- P+ ?( e+ A' e"I want to make sure. Your parents will thank me."' `7 t7 W3 q0 i1 N( X, f. T! _0 U
"My parents?"
4 y" I/ l# r, u& [  S/ R' ~8 t"They only want good girls," he said., \1 U: d1 G6 [$ A2 O4 J9 Y! ^
"Mr. Harvey," I said, "please let me leave."4 b$ ]" ^) ]$ {+ m- U6 R
"You aren't leaving, Susie. You're mine now."! s; L2 R; \* u: |. ^
Fitness was not a big thing back then; aerobics was barely a word.
$ v1 U. }  z* n# z) `/ W9 qGirls were supposed to be soft, and only the girls we suspected were
. D8 G9 l+ ]5 t' q% Q+ q3 xbutch could climb the ropes at school.! L2 d6 x( a9 U7 d# d( E, c6 }; H3 t
I fought hard. I fought as hard as I could not to let Mr. Harvey hurt8 O1 f3 V! d( ~' s5 Z& p
me, but my hard-as-I-could was not hard enough, not even close, and I" \% v9 c. c; H8 K
was soon lying down on the ground, in the ground, with him on top of me
9 N) D- b2 B& l0 Y6 Spanting and sweating, having lost his glasses in the struggle.8 a; d/ h* R5 d1 i) T$ J* b
I was so alive then. I thought it was the worst thing in the world to% E4 w. E/ b/ w) V3 s1 K, u
be lying flat on my back with a sweating man on top of me. To be trapped
4 t( E! O7 u) o8 }* P5 Finside the earth and have no one know where I was.
+ w3 L$ y! L2 A8 K) q8 m2 MI thought of my mother.
" y- F" K' q2 e1 n1 uMy mother would be checking the dial of the clock on her oven. It was# R% K! W7 N# l% d0 a; ^* D3 `
a new oven and she loved that it had a clock on it. "I can time things
# ^* H9 W) E+ Mto the minute," she told her own mother, a mother who couldn't care less. H) f$ V5 x8 B7 u* D
about ovens.
: j* x) Q  f/ B' hShe would be worried, but more angry than worried, at my lateness. As my, `7 H7 U! w# ^# q. q; S+ `6 j$ Z
father pulled into the garage, she would rush about, fixing him a  x2 e* z4 f4 U% d0 j
cocktail, a dry sherry, and put on an exasperated face: "You know junior
$ L. Z$ `9 a0 [) Qhigh," she would say. "Maybe it's Spring Fling." "Abigail," my father- k2 Q) z4 O7 |8 f
would say, "how can it be Spring Fling when it's snowing?" Having failed
2 C* m( ]( ^$ E% ~: l  Wwith this, my mother might rush Buckley into the room and say, "Play
/ a) l2 l* H0 t% K0 c- kwith your father” while she ducked into the kitchen and took a nip of
9 P6 o5 d5 @( ^sherry for herself.% r) H4 U( W( o8 ^8 ]. w  B
Mr. Harvey started to press his lips against mine. They were blubbery+ y! H: K5 y+ t0 d0 I/ v3 B+ i
and wet and I wanted to scream but I was too afraid and too exhausted
( U/ }3 v* v/ l4 b, x# p8 [$ Q3 qfrom the fight. I had been kissed once by someone I liked. His name was
2 z& M( i. t$ g2 n! Y' rRay and he was Indian. He had an accent and was dark. I wasn't supposed) o# k# ~1 t% p  X8 |/ ]
to like him. Clarissa called his large eyes, with their half-closed+ f& f2 r1 Z( N
lids, "freak-a-delic," but he was nice and smart and helped me cheat on5 C- p- ?0 ~+ `; ~
my algebra exam while pretending he hadn't. He kissed me by my locker6 g1 T! y8 }4 h# ~
the day before we turned in our photos for the yearbook. When the
7 r3 B, {# E) }* x' [, a; Cyearbook came out at the end of the summer, I saw that under his picture: Q2 ]& S, J$ C9 Z" [5 C; A! N
he had answered the standard "My heart belongs to" with "Susie Salmon."# p5 L2 y& x/ S! ?  b8 O
I guess he had had plans. I remember that his lips were chapped.2 f7 j2 Q* X) t3 A4 B( m
"Don't, Mr. Harvey," I managed, and I kept saying that one word a lot.* R1 T/ o, f4 X
Don't. And I said please a lot too. Franny told me that almost everyone: s. M2 |' V1 e
begged "please" before dying.
4 t7 Z  S( I* G9 m5 j) M"I want you, Susie," he said.# D9 h+ L* `: A! A
"Please," I said. "Don't," I said. Sometimes I combined them. "Please( L6 _6 |9 k( }0 E  q5 g( C
don't" or "Don't please." It was like insisting that a key works when it
; b2 b+ `& f6 ~9 Q0 b6 ?doesn't or yelling "I've got it, I've got it, I've got it" as a softball  M7 V- O/ p$ y  p: _6 P
goes sailing over you into the stands.
/ Z, z; ]: ~( s# b6 o) g/ p. A"Please don't."/ q! Z2 q$ ]1 [9 p, p. G6 V9 j! ]
But he grew tired of hearing me plead. He reached into the pocket of" C: x7 I8 X8 V! p9 w* C
my parka and balled up the hat my mother had made me, smashing it into$ U( b7 x2 A* s, [  ^) y* y- x) k2 L- T
my mouth. The only sound I made after that was the weak tinkling of
( s$ _) b6 m0 S- j% K: D: Sbells.5 W7 Q2 I# ^2 {7 L' I1 Z8 t
As he kissed his wet lips down my face and neck and then began to
  v$ J/ j* u; H( ~. xshove his hands up under my shirt, I wept. I began to leave my body; I1 _; J& e; m6 q
began to inhabit the air and the silence. I wept and struggled so I0 A5 j* C: e& K+ Q( H- }
would not feel. He ripped open my pants, not having found the invisible2 I9 n; t4 F2 |$ ^
zipper my mother had artfully sewn into their side.
% I' B8 ]4 c) h"Big white panties," he said.
- g: Y$ ^+ U( e* H8 {0 g8 C: Q3 ]I felt huge and bloated. I felt like a sea in which he stood and9 t  e& D/ I$ f! p  \: H) e
pissed and shat. I felt the corners of my body were turning in on
, A7 x1 A% p4 y# Lthemselves and out, like in cats cradle, which I played with Lindsey
1 Y! o/ O, g5 M+ t& Rjust to make her happy. He started working himself over me.# `& @) f* l/ Z1 r0 z# X
"Susie! Susie!" I heard my mother calling. "Dinner is ready."4 N0 r4 J1 }2 s9 X2 d5 e3 f: b" _  |& B
He was inside me. He was grunting.* B' F$ k# @. u4 ^2 q2 d( y9 }5 k8 m, n
"We're having string beans and lamb."
3 h) ~6 C0 A  h4 M* JI was the mortar, he was the pestle.
1 o- G( S  V3 {8 p" K) v$ V% S"Your brother has a new finger painting, and I made apple crumb cake."
( E! u9 A9 B* N* q4 a4 Q! D"Why don't you get up?" Mr. Harvey said as he rolled to the side and( N, q* A  H9 d4 j; s
then crouched over me,. S( A9 J" _& s, N( `5 B5 y5 y; U0 B
His voice was gentle, encouraging, a lover's voice on a late morning.5 F+ K$ s+ X2 z# P& ]
A suggestion, not a command.  `: X7 y! l# `2 d) |2 e0 }
I could not move. I could not get up.
) n" j& ]( Q0 N: g. ?" s' HWhen I would not - was it only that, only that I would not follow his6 ?* |$ |5 c$ \. z- b5 }
suggestion?-he leaned to the side and felt, over his head, across the1 ?2 C. Q8 J) y7 B  q: v7 [8 }& ?
ledge where his razor and shaving cream sat. He brought back a knife.0 \9 ]: b: o: a* M' J4 ?
Unsheathed, it smiled at me, curving up in a grin." {$ Z" z- Y1 Z! O* t  d; k
He took the hat from my mouth./ [- L. s/ Q" B
"Tell me you love me," he said.
/ X! m% C* E+ O; f% Z" C! EGently, I did.
) J( \. X! z' s  s) SThe end came anyway.( o6 Q1 r& P9 U$ C6 X) C+ Q+ C: q
Mr. Harvey made me lie still underneath him and listen to the beating of0 Z, y+ `3 N- t* l
his heart and the beating of mine. How mine skipped like a rabbit, and
# t9 ?* O& c1 S* F. a$ ^how his thudded, a hammer against cloth. We lay there with our bodies) Y  L7 o; _2 V! _7 c
touching, and, as I shook, a powerful knowledge took hold. He had done
! D# B0 m1 z6 l4 Zthis thing to me and I had lived. That was all. I was still breathing. I/ q0 x/ k4 f- v6 P
heard his heart. I smelled his breath. The dark earth surrounding us
, G9 q" w3 Z& y  e+ M+ Xsmelled like what it was, moist dirt where worms and animals lived their
( m. k& C8 T# @) Hdaily lives. I could have yelled for hours.
# }9 x# q: x: rI knew he was going to kill me. I did not realize then that I was an3 [2 f, o2 m# U  q& H
animal already dying.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|SINOFACE|海华网  

GMT-5, 2024-5-15 03:22